This Is 30



Source Unknown




... I went out with friends a few months ago wearing a pair of high heel shoes that I've worn several times without a problem, but this time I had to secretly slip them off under the table to give my feet a break. My feet and legs were killing me so much that I tried to stand in one spot all night to avoid walking around, and the next day I obsessed over my inflamed pinkie toes as I swore to JESUS that I'd never wear anything but a practical shoe ever again. I blamed it all on turning thirty.
... I was given a big bag of scrap fabric and as I sorted through each piece, I excitedly put aside what I knew would make cute tablecloths with matching oven mitts and pot holders. I looked forward to spending the following Saturday at my sewing machine and may or may not have hoped that my husband would have plans of his own so I could be free of distractions. In that moment there was no denying that times have changed and I was in fact, turning thirty.

... When I came to the realization that weekends without commitments are my favorite kind of weekends, I can no longer shop at Forever 21, and if it doesn't have SPF I'm not buying it, I knew I was turning thirty. When it dawned on me just how much I love waking up without a hangover so I can drink coffee and plan a productive day, I knew I was turning thirty. When I admitted out loud that I'd rather get a tan from working around the yard and not laying on the beach, and that I'd much rather day drink than go out at night... I knew I was turning thirty. When watching Jeopardy with a cup of tea and a blanket over my lap became an anticipated part of my weeknight routine, and when it became crucial that my friends and I compared work schedules in order to find time to hang out - I knew I was turning thirty.
 

But I kinda like me at thirty.

I no longer worry how I look to everyone else or if someone already saw me in that dress. I no longer spend my alone time anxiety ridden, wondering what I am missing or if anyone is missing me. I turned thirty with a long list of things I love about myself and things that I am passionate about; things that make me love to be alone like writing, reading, sewing, cooking, listening to music or simply getting lost in the peace and quiet of my home. I even love my body. I love that I know my strengths and weaknesses and that I'm never apologetic for how I feel or what I want, even if it's extra cheese or gravy on the side or crushed Doritos on my salad.


The thing I love most about myself at thirty is that I can list all those things before listing the person I share my life with and that's kind of a big deal. I've learned over the years to love myself first, which makes loving someone else and being loved that much better.

 
I've changed.

And I'm only thirty.

 
XO

Comments

  1. I love that you have found this liberation as you have turned 30. It took me to turn 40 to find mine. All those years of being anxious and unhappy with myself. What a waste of time. Now at 42 I am still cool with it all....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I hate to request word verification - but I'm over spam comments like I'm over Kim Kardashian.