Friday

Something's Gotta Give


My commitment to eating well, exercising and doing right for my body comes in waves and right now, the water is pretty calm.

FULL DISCLOSURE: this is one of those posts.

For the majority of the winter, knowing that I would be poolside sporting a VS swimsuit in March, I was dedicated to eating healthy, exercising often, getting lots of rest and drinking lots of water. I was killing it with loaded smoothies every morning, healthy snacks and well balanced meals, and I was saying NO to tempting treats and comfort food. I was even exercising on my living room floor in the evenings and busting out some lunges, wall sits, planks and squats at work. I felt amazing.

In early April, after returning from 25 degree weather where we consumed our fair share of burgers, pizza, truffle fries and beer - a lot of those healthy habits went out the window. I visited the staff pop machine a time or three, I've been squinting at a bright television well beyond midnight instead of getting my rest, and my lunch bag has been pretty light leaving home in the morning. I've packed on some pounds and a very bad attitude - it's time to shake it off.

I'd be a fool to wonder why I've been so sluggish and unmotivated, when clearly my body is telling me it misses the special treatment it got for months leading up to our vacation. It dawned on me yesterday when I was counting down the days to our first wedding of the summer, that my commitment to "being healthy" is only in effect when there's a bathing suit or new dress in my future. I'm putting pressure on myself to look good for a certain day, instead of putting pressure on myself to feel good everyday.

Thankfully I can do both, and my plan to do it is very simple. I have exactly 30 days before our first wedding of the summer, and just under that before I turn another year older. I want to look and feel my best today and everyday, so here's a list of things I need to start, stop and continue to achieve it.

Who's with me?

START
  • Making sleep a priority.
  • Drinking more water.
  • Getting outside for exercise on my lunch breaks.
  • Mastering the Hoola Hoop. Seriously so fun and great for core strengthening, if you can do it!
  • Skipping. 
  • 30 Day Challenges. When you have a special event in exactly 30 days, how can you not?
STOP
  • Giving into the craving for the coldest Pepsi imaginable when I need a pick-me-up at work. Damn you, vending machine next door to my office!
  • Leaving the house without a fully packed lunch.
  • Letting fruit and vegetables go to waste in the refrigerator.
  • Watching TV late at night.

CONTINUE
  • Eating smart.
  • Drinking breakfast smoothies.
  • Core strengthening with POUND workouts at home and stability ball exercises in the office.
  • Taking the stairs.
  • Working around the yard.





Thanks 30 Day Fitness for these awesome challenges! For more, visit their website seen in each image.
  


Rachel Emmilee
XO

1 comment:

I hate to request word verification - but I'm over spam comments like I'm over Kim Kardashian.