Skip to main content

Mornings. The Struggle Is Real.


He wakes up before his alarm clock and instantly rises to his feet. He doesn't wait for the alarm just so he can hit the snooze button three times, or stretch, rub his eyes or take a few minutes to process that it is now morning. He jumps out of bed. No matter how little sleep he had he appears rested, energized and ready to tackle the day. He lets OB out for a pee, throws the lazy dog back into our bed and hops in the shower. He makes a trip downstairs to freshen his clothes in the dryer and comes back upstairs to iron his outfit. He may pack himself a lunch, make a cup of coffee, and may even sit in front of the television with a bowl of cereal.


Me? 




For the life of me I have tried to rise and shine, but I just can't. I have even set the alarm on my tablet to wake me with a motivational message. Good morning, Rachel. It's a new day! Get up, make coffee, exercise! I have prepared a lunch the night before, gone to bed early, set out clothes, pre-set the coffee pot to brew at 6am, and I've even slept in workout clothes but I still can't do it. I can't do mornings. Instead, I wake up with just enough time to shower, dress, grab my things and go. If a lunch is one of those things it's a good day.

If I could program myself to do mornings, I would give myself time to putter around. I like to putter. When I'm cleaning, cooking or getting ready to go somewhere I like to take my good old time. It may sound crazy or straight up lazy, but I like to give myself hours to do things. Don't get me wrong, I can clean, cook and get stuff done like a boss but I'd prefer to take my time. Ideally, I'd fold a basket of clean clothes over the course of an hour, watching a show on TV. Or, I'd set my hair in hot rollers two hours before go time just so I can enjoy some wine and sit around.

I would give anything to wake up in the morning with a few hours to burn. I'd sip on a cup of coffee while watching Breakfast Television, I'd eat breakfast and throw a lunch together, unload the dishwasher or do a wash, and I'd even try to get in some exercise. Perhaps a run down the North East with my dog while the coffee is brewing. Wouldn't that be swell? I'd even spend time styling my hair and put effort into picking out a cute outfit. I could make myself do all this... But it would be painful. I want to love it. I want to do it without a struggle.


Some of you actually love the morning, don't you? Some of you are out the door by 6am to get to the gym, go running, tidy up and tend to children. Teach me.
What are mornings like in your house? 

Comments

  1. Our mornings are RUSHED. Alarm a little after 6, I hop in the shower and get dressed while Pete gets Eli's breakfast, and then we switch places and I eat with Eli while Pete gets ready. Then we get Eli dressed, everybody's teeth brushed, and off we go. We aim to be out the door around 7:10 so it's hectic. Add in the fact it takes Eli 45 minutes to eat ONE MUFFIN and it's painful. I do everything the night before: pack my gym bag, work bag, and lunch, and choose an outfit, so I'm kind of on autopilot until I get out of the house. Taking time in the morning to really do my hair or watch the news is out of the question but it sounds nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're tough to be so organized the night before - but it sure sounds like you have no other choice! I've tried to get things ready the night before, but come morning I'd allow myself the extra time to sleep instead of getting up enjoying the morning! I really hope I can find some routine that works, and soon.

      Side note... I remember a few mornings that I had my sister's children, having to get them up, ready and off to school was HELL. Huge props to parents.

      Delete
  2. Ooh this resonated with me so much before! I honeslty Never imagined myself to like mornings but I finally managed to do it! Before, I would sleep and sleep and sleep, even if I didn't go to bed so late, I would wake up at 2 or 3 pm the next day.. It was terrible! Each time I forced myself, it would never happen. The only way I changed was.. I got a routine! I started a new job, where I had to leave the house by 08.30 already. Because I was so worried about not being able to wake up, I started going to bed really early (9.30 or 10), doing a sleep meditation video to make sure I fall asleep and then I would get up with my alarm. For the first few days, this wasn't the easiest but still surprisingly do-able. I started the day with a glass of lemon water to make sure my body is awake and activated and I would only have my first coffee later in the morning (before, I would drink gallons of it). Anyway after the first week or so, i would get up even earlier to fit in some exercise (even if it was only 15 minutes) cos that energised me even more throughout the day and I would need even less caffeine to keep going. Now Im set in this routine, I even get up early at the weekends! :) (well, before midday at least!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness. I couldn't imagine sleeping in THAT late! It's great that you found a routine that works... Perhaps I just need to force myself out of bed for the first little while and hopefully my body will start to accept that it's time to function. Thanks for reading! :)

      Delete
  3. Catching up on your blog!

    I am weird bc I absolutely LOVE the morning. I am a morning person. However, I hate hate HATE actually getting out of bed. It is the hardest thing in the world but once I'm up, I'm up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I hate to request word verification - but I'm over spam comments like I'm over Kim Kardashian.

Popular posts from this blog

It's Written In Stone.

I visited her grave yesterday for the first time in a long time. It was August 8th, her Birthday, and I had spent the entire day thinking about her and working up the courage to pay her a little visit. It's hard for me to go there, but I knew it would be a good place to be alone with my thoughts and a safe place to talk out loud.

Standing over her grave, I thought about all the things we would have in common if she was still here. Her being twenty-three and me twenty-six, I know we'd be the best of friends - no different than before. I thought about how she would celebrate her big day and knew it would start with Eggo Waffles soaked in syrup while she watched A Baby Story, A Wedding Story and then What Not To Wear. She would have come up to our pool or gone down to the beach where she'd sit with her favorite book, a bag of Munchies and a cold can of Nestea. She'd be listening to her favorite music in her van and dreading any kind of party Mom was planning because she h…

Our Kitchen Makeover - Before & After

What I am about to say, I say with great certainty. If you and your spouse can get through a major home renovation project, you can get through just about anything.


Back in early November we set out to create the kitchen of our dreams. I had pinned enough ideas to design ten kitchens combined, all the materials were purchased, the job was quoted and within our budget, and finally all the more important home projects were behind us. This took having to accept that insulating our basement and installing an energy efficient heating system was more important than new cabinets and more counter space - which wasn't particularly easy for me. 


The goal was bigger and brighter. The original kitchen had only one tight corner you could work on, a low hanging microwave and one sink. It consisted of thirty year old hardwood floors that were scuffed and damaged by water among other spills, oak cabinets that aged to an unpleasant shade of yellow, warped laminate counter-top with a dated wood de…